My Bookmarks for COVID-19

I woke up early this morning and couldn't go back to sleep so, like millions of Americans I suppose, I stayed under the covers and started reading from my phone.  Unlike anyone under 40, I hate reading on my phone. (Just wait, you'll see. Or not see.)  But that's another subject.

What I did notice is that I don't have a lot of things bookmarked on my phone.  Including the sites I've been using to keep up with the COVID-19 pandemic.  So, without further ado, here they are.

John Hopkins Center for Systems Science and Engineering.

It has a great, interactive map and a lousy link for Facebook.  When you post the link to Facebook it doesn't use a picture or even an icon. Just text. So it doesn't attract attention.  But the site itself is first-rate.  Here's a screen shot.  I take a shot every day (or try to) and store it in a folder.  Surely, at some point in time, someone will animate the map to show how this thing spread.





The other map I'm using is from the Atlanta Journal/Constitution -- aka The AJC. It, unfortunately, is clunky. But it's what we have and it works. Again, here's a screenshot of it.


You can click on each county and get a short synopsis. How many cases. How many deaths. The usual grim reality of the situation.  The map will jump.  You'll have to recenter it, find the next county, lather, rinse, repeat.  But it works.

Besides the normal link of the AJC itself, the New York Times and Twitter -- that's it. Of course, I have to have Get The Flick bookmarked on my phone for this to work. I do.  I hope you do too.

As you can see, I don't do advertising on my blog.  I never have. I'd like to think I never will. (The older I get the more cautious I get about using the word "never".)  So take this as a Public Service Announcement.  Get a subscription to a newspaper.  I don't care which one. I subscribe to the New York Times (digital). Not a day day goes by that I don't wish I could afford the Washington Post too. Even the local paper. No matter how small.

Consider it your contribution to civilization. In my mind, the Free Press is the only institution of our Constitution that hasn't failed us lately. Help them out.  The country you save may be your own.

Don Brown
March 18, 2020






Comments

Comrade Misfit said…
WaPo runs deals from time to time. I got a year's subscription awhile back for $25.

Popular Posts