Pretend You're A Rabbit

 I can't seem to help myself.  I went back to Monte Sano again this morning. I knew the weather was going to be cool and clear -- not much chance of a good sunrise -- but I went anyway.  I forgot it was a weekend.  (Retired people can do that.)  What a difference. The camping spaces seemed to be pretty full. A couple walked past me as I was unloading the truck.  And a few more showed up to watch the Sun rise.

As predicted, the sunrise was pretty much a bust so I wandered down the Bankhead Trail to where I left off yesterday.  I'm really surprised someone hasn't come along and painted a "9" next to that.  I guess I shouldn't give anybody any ideas.  (Like the world isn't full of Harry Potter fans that have already thought that thought.)

Turns out it's actually a mile marker (3/4 of a mile) instead of letting you know you're 3/4ths of the way to the top.  But there's not much difference.  The Monte Sano overlook is just a 100 yards or so past the one mile marker.

On the way down the hill, I ran into these guys.

They didn't really seem to care I was there. And I never figured out what they were eating.  It must have been good whatever it was because they didn't want to move.  When they left the road I continued down the hill and noticed one of them pretending to be a rabbit just a few yards off the road.

The couple that passed me later said they saw them when they went by too.

So that's how my morning went.  How about yours? Oh, and on the way down the mountain I stopped and gave Zack (and his bike) a ride down the mountain.  He had a blowout.  Funny, I was thinking of buying an electric (or hybrid) car to commute to these morning hikes around town.  The pickup truck is getting a little old.  But it's a pickup truck. 

My daddy always said once you own one you'll never be able to do without it.  As usual, he was right. I found out he passed away last night as I was driving home over Chapman Mountain.  It's been a long time coming.  Alzheimer's really is the "long goodbye".   I've missed him a long time already.  I'm thankful his suffering is over.


Don Brown
May 15, 2021


Comments

Janice in GA said…
I'm so sorry for your loss. May his memory be a blessing.

But I know what you mean about the loss. :(
Don Brown said…
Thank you, Janice.

Popular Posts