Day Two, Morning Three

We're still as busy as beavers, of course.  Tons of adventures in moving that I could talk about.  My favorite was the drier.  Our camping friends came back again, of course.  Bill is one of these guys that can't sit still.  So he starts to work on the drier that the aerospace engineer couldn't hook up because we had the wrong plug.  (This is a common thing, evidently.)  So Bill looks, takes a picture (yay! smart phones) and dashes off to Lowe's to get a new plug.

As I understand it (and I understand nothing about anything to do with mechanical matters), there's a 3-prong drier plug and a 4-prong.  Curiously, we have 4-prong plug and a 4-prong electrical socket.  Yet they don't fit -- which Bill knows because he tried it and (critically) took a picture of it. (BTW, the engineer told me to do they same thing -- take a picture of the plug and socket.)  "Hmmm", Bill says, "another aerospace engineer built the house and everything else in it is over-engineered so the drier plug is probably overdone too."  He was right. Instead of replacing the socket (as suggested by the sales person) he walks down to the welding department as Lowe's and finds a 40-amp plug instead of the 30-amp plugs commonly used on driers. Sure enough, it fits. (Don't get excited if I got any of that wrong.  I ((seriously))  don't know anything about these matters.)

If all this had been up to me, I would be poorer by whatever-it-is that electricians charge these days and I would have run out of clean clothes before I got it fixed.

I did have the bright idea of testing out the whole-house fan yesterday morning.  It works.  And the concept still works. We never touched the air-condition despite the cloudless sky.  The Comcast man got the intertubes connected and he got my wife's TV running.  (She may have threatened him with bodily harm when he said the work-order was for internet only.  Whoops.)

A gust front snuck  up on us around suppertime.  You can tell it'd been awhile since any of us had used a whole-house fan.  Did I mention it requires open windows to work?  Whoops.

But every cloud has a silver lining.  Or at least a yellow one. When the sky turned yellow, I stepped out on the front porch and -- sure enough -- there was a rainbow over Monte Sano (the "big" mountain that dominates Huntsville's East side.)  When I went out on the same porch this morning, I had to go back inside and get my jacket so I could watch the Sun chase the sliver of a Moon over Monte Sano.  Now where the heck did I pack that camera memory-card reader for my computer?

Back to work.

Don Brown
May 7, 2021

Comments

Popular Posts