See Bob Run



Make no mistake about it, when it comes to having the flick on Presidential politics -- I don’t. Still, I was tickled pink to read this:

Barr announces Libertarian presidential bid

In my little corner of the world -- a “red” county, in a “red” state -- I’ve seen more “Vote Ron Paul” signs than “Vote John McCain” signs. During the last election, I feel certain that my pick-up truck was the only one in the county with a Kerry/Edwards sticker on it. My wife wouldn’t put one on her car -- she’s scared of the rednecks. In that I are one -- I ain’t. My wife knows that they’re mostly church-going, God-fearing people but she saw Deliverance and took it to heart. I keep telling her that the movie was typical over-the-top Hollywood stereotyping -- and besides -- the bad guys were hillbillies instead of rednecks. The distinction seems to be lost on her.

Speaking of churches, that is where many of them get their political views. It’s nothing new. I find it odd that my wife believes the boogey man lurks down every lonely dirt road but fails to appreciate the political power of the churches on the corner of virtually every main street down here. But like we say, she ain’t from ‘round here.

Between listening to their preachers and Neal Boortz on WSB, a run for President by Bob Barr will definitely keep life entertaining down here. And here I was, worried that Texas was going to surpass Georgia in the number of wacky political figures we can offer to the nation. Good Lord I miss Molly Ivins.

Don Brown
May 12, 2008

Comments

Popular Posts