Midway in FDR



Just a quick note to let you know how much I’m already enjoying FDR by Jean Edward Smith. I’m only up to the period of Roosevelt’s first 100 days as President and I’m already enthralled with the book. The period of Roosevelt’s youth was so different -- he was raised in such alien (to me) conditions of wealth and privilege -- that the parallels between the economic crisis of the 1930’s and the current sub-prime-mortgage-inspired mess make for fascinating reading.

It is troubling to read how FDR was showered with adulation -- and power. He had to know the dangers of that power. He referred to Huey P. Long (Louisiana’s “Kingfish”) as the second most dangerous man in America -- second only to General Douglas MacArthur. Yet he embraced all and used them for his purposes.

I’ve read extensively about FDR. He’s my favorite President. It’s early -- but not too early to tell you that this book is a winner.

Don Brown
May 26, 2008

Comments

Popular Posts