Time is Short



Sorry I’m so slow. As is typical in my life, when it rains it pours. No, no rain in mid-Georgia today. No sun either. That means it’s a perfect time for me to get to those flower beds I’ve been neglecting.

Incredibly, it’s only 68 degrees at 1 P.M. here today. Yesterday I was baking in the sun -- planting vinca. When I woke up today and it was actually cool, I decided to plant while the sun wasn’t shining. Marigolds by the mailbox, petunias in the pots and I finally managed to get the tomato plants in the ground. Most people plant tomatoes on Good Friday around here -- if that gives you any idea how late I am.

I’m afraid it won’t get much better this week. My son graduates high school tomorrow night. My wife is knocking herself out, putting together his party. I’m sure she’s trying to keep her mind off the fact that this chapter of our life is closing. My son has been goofing off all week -- as seniors do. I asked him if he needed me to make his lunch to take to school the other day and he said, “No Dad, you don’t ever have to make my lunch again.”

I missed so much of their growing up -- working all the crazy shifts that controllers work. It’s been nice to at least catch the last part -- these last two years. My daughter has been living at home too -- attending a local college. She will be leaving this fall also, transferring to an out of town college.

Damn those flowers -- always making my eyes water.

Don Brown
May 29, 2008

Comments

Popular Posts