Good Grief



It’s a good thing I don’t have a job (still.) Otherwise, I’d never be able to keep up. I just finished writing today’s post and on my first pass through the internet I’ve got a week’s worth of blogging.

A plain and simple letter to the editor from my good friend Chuck Adams made it into Google News. It’s just like Chuck -- respectful, sincere and straight to the point.

Clear Senate FAA bill for takeoff

Chuck is a rock. He’s a controller in Grand Forks, North Dakota. He’s the kind of guy that makes me proud to have been a controller and the kind of guy that makes you proud to be an American. I could go on all day but I’ll leave it at this -- he’s one of the finest people I know.

I barely know Dick Smith but he made it into the news in Australia.

Low pay 'forcing air traffic controllers out of jobs'

”The former chair of the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) says there is a dangerous shortage of air traffic controllers in Australia.”

I bumped into Mr. Smith on the ‘net a few years back. He is a very interesting individual. He also has a wicked sense of humor. I’m not sure if it’s a fair (much less flattering) comparison, but for Americans...imagine if Ted Turner was passionate about aviation and became Administrator of the FAA. I really need to visit Australia. It sounds like loads of fun.

This doesn’t though.

”Radio and radar systems were down for three hours early this morning. Up to 24 planes were affected. Had it occurred at peak time, one controller said, the danger 'would have been incalculable.' “

That is from yesterday’s L.A. Times. You might be noticing a troubling trend. No system is fail-proof. That is the reason air traffic control (and aviation in general) has so many backup systems and so much redundancy. What is troubling me is the radios and the radars going out at the same time. And it isn’t the first time it has happened.

I can’t tell you what is wrong but I have my suspicions. Whatever it is, it needs to get fixed. Pronto. It’s beyond dangerous.

Now I really have to go do something. I can’t sit and type on this computer all day.

Don Brown
May 21, 2008

Comments

Popular Posts