I'll Be Writing for Seth Myers Now

My wife says I'm too serious. I don't laugh enough. I need to have more fun. Lighten up she says. One of the reasons I married her -- oh, alright -- one of the reasons I stay married to her is she has the patience to make me better. She would have made a good mule trainer.

So there I was, listening to my normal serious podcast and an advertisement for "Late Night with Seth Meyers" podcast comes on. (I hate advertisements in podcasts. I remember when...) So, strictly as a spur-of the-moment thing, I hit the "subscribe" button on my podcast ap. The very first episode of the show I downloaded (swear, you can't make this up) -- at the 10:50 time marker (top right of the screen in case you want to fast forward) -- I heard this:

"This is why we need an actual, functioning, centralized, Federal government that listens to scientists instead of just relying on private companies to do things that don't benefit their investors or their bottom lines. Republicans love to hollow out the government and outsource everything to Big Business and then complain the government is incompetent and should be run like a business. That's their scam -- make government incompetent then use that incompetence as proof that government is bad."


Man, I wish I had said that. Oh, wait.
 
January 21st

"Since Ronald Reagan declared our government to be our problem, the Civil Service has been on a long, downhill slide. You can’t call people a problem and expect them to be motivated. If government wasn’t already the problem, Reagan and his disciples made sure it became the problem. They told us that government didn’t work and set about making it true."

Nothing has changed in the 12 years since except Twitter has made me more succinct.



Pretty funny, huh? But you want to hear something really funny? Listen to Seth Myers read the above at 1/2 speed. He sounds as drunk as a skunk. (He talks really fast and I was trying to transcribe the podcast.) It would probably be best at 3/4 speed but my podcast ap only slows down to 1/2 speed.

Oh well, as always, my wife was right. I need to lighten up.  Seth Meyers saying it in his way will change more minds that I ever have saying it my way. Hopefully, his generation will vote better than mine.  That's assuming they still get to vote.

Don Brown
May 20, 2020

Comments

Popular Posts