Fun With Photography

If I was a birder, I could tell you what kind of bird this is. (A yellow-throated vireo, maybe?) (Nope.  A birder friend tells me it's a female American goldfinch.)  But I'm a photographer, not a birder.  Even better, I'm an amateur photographer.  And I don't think I stress that enough these days (nor the hobby at large).

Taking pictures is fun. Pictures of anything.  Pictures for any reason. For me, it's an excuse to get outside (even when it's icy). For you, it could be because you like to stay indoors.  I don't like playing around with my pictures on a computer.  For you, it might be your favorite part of photography.  And that's great.  Whatever brings you joy.

Just know that you don't have to listen to the Sirens' call of being a "pro".  You don't have to buy the latest-greatest equipment.  (I buy mine from Nikon, refurbished.)  You can take great pictures with your phone.  Mostly, it's just a matter of experimenting until you find what you like.  Birds, still-lifes, people, wildlife, rodeo, kite-flying, street photography or  anything you can imagine.  You don't have to make money at it.  You can just have fun.

I found out a long time ago that I love the hobby of photography.  And the worst thing I ever did (photography-wise) was to let somebody talk me into trying to make money at it.  A joy became a job.  A job that didn't pay much.  Go out and have fun with your photography.



Nikon D7200 — Nikon 200-500 F5.6 ED VR
500mm
F8@1/4,000th
ISO 1,000
Cropped

DOL_1421.JPG
©Don Brown 2024

Comments

Popular Posts