Big Idea Balk



Believe it or not, one of the blog ideas I was considering yesterday was making the case for Steve Jobs to retire. Yeah, I know, it’s self serving for me to say that now that he has resigned but (swear) the idea did flash through my head.

I always wonder what motivates a guy like that. I mean, what gets Warren Buffet up in the morning? Why does Bill Gates go to work? They’ve got more money than they could ever spend in ten lifetimes.

I think about that often so it isn’t too unusual for me to think of Steve Jobs. When the stock market was bouncing around this month, Apple -- at one point -- became worth more than Exxon to become the world’s richest corporation. Steve Jobs has been ill. And the old saying says, “Go out on top.” I thought it would be a good time to go. And lo and behold he has done it.

So, to get another big idea out before somebody else says it...

Here’s my stimulus project idea. Bury all the electrical/cable/phone lines. You know, anything that is run on a telephone pole.

Telephone pole, Westwood - geograph.org.uk - 1621213

I don’t have any economic reason -- although I’m sure I could make a compelling case. But the plain truth is that -- like all photographers -- I hate the ghastly things. Just another reason to love the English -- they hate them too.

Hey, these eyesores are in all 50 states, they’re in rural, suburban and urban areas, rich and poor areas alike...it’s an equal opportunity project. Not to mention, it sure beats digging a hole in the ground. Besides, maybe you could fill up the right of way with these things a 13 year-old kid dreamed up.

Gleisdorf.Solarbaum
(Maybe Steve Jobs could work on the industrial design of these.)

Don Brown
August 25, 2011

Comments

Popular Posts