Rush, Sean and Government Handouts



Here I am, just rummaging around the internet for something to write about, and I find the strangest things. I’ve already toured the FAA world. Toured the “air traffic control” news. BBC. NPR. I read Kruman’s column I missed yesterday. I visited the blogs on my blog list. Nothing is really stirring me up. Until I left The Rachel Maddow Show.

She had a segment on the U.S. Chamber of Commerce being “punked”. It was mildly interesting and added to the impression that the Chamber of Commerce is taking a lot of heat these days. So I started looking at the news about them and bumped into Rush. Heaven help us. I occasionally have to listen to him to make sure he’s still talking crazy. He is.

”They are trying to destroy the Chamber.  Next in line will be the Knights of Columbus and then the Lions Club, the Rotary Club, and then they'll go off on the Shriners.  The Chamber of Commerce needs the support of every American who gives a damn about free markets, private property, and fears of creeping fascism.  This country cannot afford for the insurance industry to cave. This country cannot afford for the Chamber of Commerce to cave.  The Chamber of Commerce has been screwed by this administration's policies and now the Chamber is the enemy and a hoax that they had changed their minds and are supporting cap and trade gets reported by the  Washington Post, New York Times, Reuters and CNBC.  A hoax! From an e-mail, a single e-mail! “

Man the barricades, Comrade ! The Chamber of Commerce is under attack ! Rise up before the rich people are no longer rich ! Oh boy. Anyway, I waded through as much of that as I could stand and was about to click my mouse three times so that I might find my way back home when I noticed one of my favorite right wing-nut factories -- The Heritage Foundation. They have an ad on Rush’s website.



In case you can’t read that is says, “The Left is On the March. Ask Heritage”.

I've mentioned The Heritage Foundation here and here. They’re a big, right-wing think tank. I’ll let them define themselves.

Our Mission

To formulate and promote conservative public policies based on the principles of free enterprise, limited government, individual freedom, traditional American values, and a strong national defense.“


“Free enterprise” and “limited government”. When you click on their little ad on Rush’s page it takes you here. And the first thing you notice (after Sean Hannity’s and Rush Limbaugh’s smiling faces) is this:

Join more than half a million conservatives as a member of The Heritage Foundation with your tax-deductible contribution of $25.00 or more.
(Emphasis added)

“Tax-deductible” ? You mean like a gift to charity is tax deductible ? Feed the poor, clothe the naked, heal the sick and tack another zero onto Rush’s check ? (WARNING -- That link is rated “R” for Retch.) A government handout by any other name ? “Free enterprise” ? “Limited government” ?

On the Heritage Foundation page, you’ll see this in big, bold print:

”What is the Liberal Agenda on Taxes? “

Well, gee, I don’t know but evidently the right wing believes think tanks are in the same tax category as charities and churches. Check out as much as you can stand to read about the 501(c)3 tax status and prohibited political activity. You see, that’s the problem with beating up on Rush, Sean, The Heritage Foundation and the people that fund them. There’s no good stopping point.

Don Brown
October 20, 2009

Comments

Popular Posts