The Hangnail in My Life



One of my sisters went to college in Nashville. She brought home an album (am I showing my age?) from some friends that were just starting out. (Hello? Music City.) I really liked that album a lot. It had one quirky/silly tune on it with a great line;

You’re the hangnail in my life, and I can’t bite you off.

Evidently, I’m not the only person that feels this way about Newton Leroy Gingrich. From Salon:

Newt Gingrich, book-shilling faux candidate, surges

”In last night’s hallucinatory GOP presidential debate, former House Speaker Newt Gingrich did his usual blustery free-associative word-barrage routine that for years convinced numerous reporters and pundits that he was somehow an intellectual statesman.”

And a little later...

”A book plug, an assertion of unparalleled expertise, and a hilarious proposal that makes no sense — all in one answer? He’s still got it.”

I can’t say as I’ve ever noticed Alex Pareene (the author) before but that’s a couple of great lines. You’ll have to go read the closing paragraph for yourself. And you’ll have to endure Newt Gingrich for a little longer. Even worse -- if his tactics catch on (Hello Herman Cain) -- you’ll have to endure a bunch of people (Sarah Palin) that became famous by running for President -- or just threatening to run. We used to think people like that were funny. Now, they just seem crazy.

Don Brown
November 10, 2011

Comments

Popular Posts