God Bless You, Newt



God does indeed work in mysterious ways. Newt Gingrich utters the truth (for once) and the entire Republican Party comes unglued.

From Meet the Press on Sunday, May 15th. (I always encourage you to click on the links...just be advised this page is an abomination. You have to go (almost) to the bottom of the page and click on “Show More Text” before you can get to this part. And endure even more ads. It’s no wonder nobody linked to it.)

”MR. GREGORY:  But not what Paul Ryan is suggesting, which is completely changing Medicare.

REP. GINGRICH:  I, I think that, I think, I think that that is too big a jump.  I think what you want to have is a system where people voluntarily migrate to better outcomes, better solutions, better options, not one where you suddenly impose upon the--I don't want to--I'm against Obamacare, which is imposing radical change, and I would be against a conservative imposing radical change.”


Newt also said (right before that):

”REP. GINGRICH:  I don't think right-wing social engineering is any more desirable than left-wing social engineering.  I don't think imposing radical change from the right or the left is a very good way for a free society to operate.”

As I was saying, this set off a firestorm inside the Party of Birthers, Deniers and Randiers. For a full explanation, I recommend this video (about 14 minutes) from the Rachel Maddow Show. Especially the last part of it when she interviews Chris Hayes. He gets to the heart of it. Every Republican in the House (except 4) voted for Ryan’s budget and they don’t need Newt pointing out the truth -- that they voted to kill Medicare.


Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy



If you would rather read, I’d recommend First Read from NBC News.

Newt’s tough day: Newt Gingrich’s honeymoon as an official presidential candidate lasted, well, just a few days.”

”*** The new conservative litmus test: Here’s a final point about Newt yesterday: It’s more evidence that if you criticize Ryan’s budget plan -- and, more importantly, its Medicare overhaul -- then you’re not considered a mainstream conservative Republican. Ryan’s budget plan has become the ultimate conservative litmus test. Who is happiest about this development? The folks in charge of the Obama re-elect…”


God bless you, Newt. We couldn’t have convinced so many people that the Republican Party has gone off the deep end without you.

Don Brown
May 18, 2011

Comments

Popular Posts