NWA188 Not Dying Addendum



For those that didn’t already overdose on the story below -- NWA188 - The Story That Won’t Die -- you might be interested in an article I wrote for AVweb about the NMAC mentioned.

Say Again? #35: Lessons Unlearned

”According to the FAA's analysis, the first error occurred when a controller failed to switch the DC-10 to the next sector's frequency. This is a fairly common occurrence. Especially if you happen to be me. I forget to switch airplanes at least 2-3 times a day. Minimum. It's one of my greatest weaknesses. The trick is discovering the error. Usually, the next sector calls me to remind me to switch the aircraft. The other "backup" (if you will) is the fact that I mark strips. I try to make myself methodically review my Flight Progress Strips on a regular basis. That's easier said than done, especially when it's busy. You'd be surprised how many times I discover I haven't switched someone using this method. It's a part of the system and it works. “

It was part of the system. Technology replaced it. Sort of. Well, not really.

Now, if you’re really a glutton for punishment, you can read the “full narrative” of the NMAC from the NTSB. If you can wade through all this, you might consider signing up as a safety representative for someone.

Don Brown
November 1, 2009

Comments

Popular Posts