I Thought the 60s Were Bad



I’ve been falling behind on my Time magazines. I picked one up today and it was a doozy. The cover was....

The Decade From Hell



I thought that was a little harsh. After all, the 60’s were bad. JFK, MLK and RFK were all assassinated. Vietnam. Crime nearly doubled. Riots. Kent State. The 1968 Democratic Convention and Riot. Nixon got elected in ‘69.

But as I started reading the piece I had to admit, Andy Serwer (the writer) had a point.

”Bookended by 9/11 at the start and a financial wipeout at the end, the first 10 years of this century will very likely go down as the most dispiriting and disillusioning decade Americans have lived through in the post–World War II era. “

About halfway through, it stuck me he could have just said that George W. Bush was President during most of it and made his point a whole lot faster. But he never said that. So, you might want to read his take on it all. I almost said “less-biased take” but I’m not sure that would be correct. Mr. Serwer is the managing editor of Fortune magazine. You’ll want to keep that in mind when he starts talking about unions.

Don Brown
November 28, 2009

Comments

Popular Posts