Sunday Evening Show



Forget the reruns. Forget 60 Minutes. I’ve got compelling TV for you to watch right here on your computer. Seriously, I want you to take an hour of your TV-time and watch all this instead. A special word of thanks to my friend, Paul Williams, for putting all this together in one place on his site.

First, the news story that appeared on CNN. If you don’t have enough time to watch them all, this is the one to watch.

Next is the press briefing given by Chairman of the House Committee on Transportation and Infrastructure, James Oberstar. It’s in four parts. I’ve watched all four. I’ve listened to every single word. Chairman Oberstar is my hero. He handled this with just the right touch. He’s not screaming that the sky is falling. He’s not saying that Southwest Airlines is unsafe and he (on the last question asked) refused to say they were safe. That isn’t his job. His job is oversight.

My blog for tomorrow (it’s been written for days) will ask that question in just this context -- “Is Congress doing their job by providing the needed oversight ?” In this one case, I am thrilled to be able to say, “Yes.”

”The FAA will see the light -- or feel the heat. “

I personally cannot wait until Chairman Oberstar’s committee turns its attention to air traffic control.

There’s one last video you might want to watch. The uncommanded rudder movement problem on Boeing 737s didn’t really come across too forcefully. A picture is worth a thousand words. There’s no word on how much a video is worth but be sure to note the date so you can calculate how long this problem has existed -- and been ignored.

My sister is flying home today on a Southwest Airlines Boeing 737. I’ll make sure she watches this video.

Don Brown
March 9, 2008

Comments

Popular Posts