Guilt and Association



My conscience is gnawing at me and I’d just as soon it didn’t. It my last post, I used something I had either heard or read (I can’t remember which) and I didn’t give the person who said it (or wrote it) credit. The fact that I can’t remember isn’t easing my conscience any.

It was the idea of renumbering Depressions. I built upon it (Gulf War I & II, Bush I & II) but the point is the original thought wasn’t mine. If I knew who to apologize to I would. In the meantime, I’ll just apologize to you. Hopefully I’ll run across it again so I can give proper credit.

With that out of the way, I’d like to point you to James Fallows’ piece for today.

Our capacity for self-government

”From twelve time zones away, it looks as if the United States is in one of those moments where the capacity to get serious and face big problems is sorely tested. “

I think Mr. Fallows is one of the more thoughtful writers (hence the reason he’s in my blog links) out there and I look forward to the day he returns home to the United States. His reporting from China is important but I’d like to see more from the home front (if you will.) Regardless, his point today blends with mine. We’re a great country. It’s time we started acting like it.

Don Brown
October 6, 2008

Comments

Popular Posts