King George III was a Drug Kingpin

I was this many years old before I decided to learn about Great Britain dealing drugs.  I knew of the history.  But I didn't know the history.  That was a mistake on my part.  It's a mistake you need not repeat.

That is how the old saying goes you know.  And as I always told my kids, "You know how a saying got old?  By being true."

Those that do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it. -- George Santayana

Anyway, let's get on with the show. The British Empire was dealing dope in China -- through the East India Company -- because Brits were addicted to tea.  Which, of course, came from China.  Think trade deficit.  And while you're at it, think legal deniability (we're not dealing dope, the East India Company is) and corporate greed.  (Yeah, we're selling drugs but look how many people we employ and look at how much revenue our stock is generating for widows and orphans.)

You might think I'm laying this on kind of thick but this is straight from the article I read.

"The demand for tea in Britain had grown steadily throughout the 18th century. By the 1790s, most of it came from China, with the East India Company shipping around 10,000 tonnes of tea leaves from east Asia to London every year. But there was one major problem: China had little interest in anything the British empire could offer in return. The Qianlong Emperor wrote to King George III in 1793, “Our Celestial Empire possesses all things in prolific abundance and lacks no product within its borders. There was therefore no need to import the manufactures of outside barbarians in exchange for our own produce.” Britain was facing a colossal trade deficit."

It continues:

"But then the agents of the East India Company realised they could create a growing market for something that they could source in bulk. While the Chinese government would only consider silver for official trade, the Chinese people were keen on something else: opium."

Have a listen.  Or take the time to read it.  While you're there, consider leaving a dollar or two for The Guardian.  I do, every year.  (Wikipedia too.)  It's a pretty cheap history lesson.  They'll make the direct connection for you to the Sakler family.  I don't think it tied China to the fentanyl trade but I thought the connection was pretty obvious.

"While Mexico and China are the primary source countries for fentanyl and fentanyl-related substances trafficked directly into the United States,..."

That's it from me.  I'm sure there are more insights I missed.  But I hope the info helps you get the flick.

Oh yeah. The article starts off a little sideways (sort of like I often do) but stick with it.  It'll get to the juicy parts soon enough.

Don Brown
July 27, 2023


Comments

Popular Posts