Whitetail Visitors

So there I was, photographing some dying weeds with pretty colors when I turned around and saw a small herd of whitetail deer.  A 200-500mm lens, mounted on a tripod, standing on a slope and with the camera set on manual so I could photograph the pretty, backlit weed.  What are the chances I can swing around a catch a shot of a deer?

Turns out, they were pretty good.  I've seen the deer dozens of times before and I've noticed that they can't really see me.  They're staring straight into the rising Sun. They know something's up.  They can see movement and they can hear me.  But if I'm quiet and move slow, they won't spook.

So I shoot a few frames through the brush and then I started moving slowly down the hill towards a clearing.  The tripod is now a liability but I drag it along with me anyway.  They finally spooked and I got this as they were running away. 


Nikon D7200 -- Nikon 200-500mm 5.6E ED VR
360mm
F5.6@1/400th
ISO 100
Cropped

(ROD_9126 - 2)
©Don Brown 2019

 


Comments

Popular Posts