Jesus Just Left Chicago



Somebody said something the other day and it just hit me. So I decided to see if it was true.

Chicago to New Orleans, one way:

American Airlines:


(clip from Travelocity)

Greyhound:



I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that an airliner -- even a regional jet -- costs more than a bus. And a pilot makes more than a bus driver (PLEASE! tell me that is still true). And that an airliner burns more fuel than a bus to get from ORD to MSY. Both hold approximately 50 people (bus and regional jet). So, can anybody explain to me how this makes economic sense?

I get that the airplane can do several trips a day. But still....

For those that don’t get the obscure cultural references (like the title), you have to know the songs.



(BTW, I had this all worked out in my head (thinking I was clever) before I realized that Krugman has been doing it for a week or more. Sad when an economist is more creative than you are.)

Don Brown
September 1, 2010

Comments

Popular Posts