The Truth Hurts -- Again



It’s a weakness of mine. A disease. There is absolutely no upside for me in posting this -- and yet -- I’m doing it anyway. Somehow I still believe the truth is important, and this blog from Badtux The Snarky Penguin strikes me as the truth. (I found it at Earth-Bound Misfit, of course.)

”Yet this burst of modernization basically had slammed to a halt by 1975. Instead of electing progressive governors, the South started electing regressives, people intent upon rolling back the reforms instituted by the progressives. When progressives did get elected, like Edwin Edwards in Louisiana during the late 1970's, they found themselves fighting holding actions, basically trying to keep government services from being gutted by a populace increasingly hostile to government.”

I have a feeling that BadTux is just a few years older than me. My memories of this era aren’t as sharp as his. I was one of the many bewildered kids riding the bus to a different elementary school. Another one, wondering why so many kids were suddenly going to private schools. Or maybe, BadTux is just more insightful than I am.

Don Brown
May 27, 2010

Comments

Popular Posts