I Coulda Been Somebody



If I was a professional writer, I could have written this:

”On the one hand, we have "this will work!" reassurances from an agency whose ability to make common-sense decisions we observe each time we go to the airport, backed by government contractors with a big new procurement order to defend ...“

You know right away that you’re on to something here. But no, I’m just a blogger and James Fallows was writing about a different agency -- the TSA.

A Story We Somehow Knew Was Coming (TSA Dept)

”...On the other hand, we have the guy in charge of Israel's airport security, saying that reliance on machines is a mirage, that the real answer lies in intelligence and savvy...“

But it could have been about the FAA. And I could have written those words. If I had paid attention in class. And practiced my craft for decades. And had been incredibly talented. I coulda been a contender. But no, I was just a controller. And a safety rep. At the busiest facility on the planet. For 25 years. Too bad I didn’t learn to write.

”TSA + defense contractor + security theater, vs Israeli expert + Schneier + common sense. Hmmm, I don't know what to believe.“

Don Brown
April 29, 2010

Comments

Popular Posts