FAA History Lesson -- November 19



From the FAA Historical Chronology, 1926-1996...

”Nov 19, 1963: Responding to requests from U.S. and foreign carriers for priority deliveries of the U.S. supersonic transport (SST) when it became available, FAA established a delivery priorities system for the first 70 airliners to come off the production line. The agency stated it was acting as intermediary for the airlines pending final selection of a manufacturer to make the SST available at an early time to the broadest possible market, while maintaining a reasonable balance of distribution been U.S. and foreign carriers. (See Aug 15, 1963, and Jan 15, 1964.)“

My, how things have changed. You have to remember the times. We were headed for the moon. For any nation that could “put a man on the moon”, a supersonic transport was child’s play. It was a time of hope and limitless possibilities. At least it seemed that way -- before that awful day in Dallas.

People of a certain age don’t have to be told this, of course. You see, for them, 1963 stands out just as 2001 will always stand out for this generation. Just as December 7th, 1941 stood out for the generation before.

I was crawling through the rails of the fence that separated our yard from the neighbors. I was just a child at play. But I remember it because I remember the fear on my mother’s face as she ran out of the front door to check on her children. Fear is infectious.

Sometimes, when I’m researching these history lessons, I can’t stop my eyes from wondering to the next entry.

From the FAA Historical Chronology, 1926-1996...

”Nov 22, 1963: President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, and was succeeded by Lyndon B. Johnson.“

Don Brown
November 19, 2007

Comments

Popular Posts