Counting the Years

   Before we get started, for anybody that doesn't remember, I hate math.  I love Jimmy Buffet.  But I hate math.  I'll keep in simple.  Really simple.  If I make a mistake, well, I hate math.  But I don't know any other way to make my point so, math it is.



Russia first invaded Ukraine (this century) in February of 2014.  Stating the obvious, it's August 2023.  9 and 1/2 years later.  This escalation (or latest invasion) began on February 24, 2022.  That's a year and  a half ago. Let's compare shall we? 



We all think of World War II as staring on September 1, 1939 when Germany invaded Poland.  As you'll remember, the United States wasn't dragged into the war until December 7, 1941 -- over 2 years later.  A year and a half is not quite 2 years and 3 months but it's getting closer.  Now, before we do any more math, reflect on the geography.  You might want to notice the proximity of Germany/Poland to Russia/Ukraine -- and how close they all are to each other.



Okay then -- despite Animal House confusing the issue, Germany didn't bomb Pearl Harbor.  Japan did.  And Japan invaded Manchuria on September 19, 1931.   Just slightly over 10 years before Pearl Harbor.  (Not to confuse the issue but Italy invaded Ethiopia in 1935.  Just in case you forgot about Mussolini -- the guy that made Fascism cool.)

  My point being, don't fall asleep.  This Ukraine vs. Russia war can still go sideways on us.  All of us.


Switching gears but still doing math, somewhere after early 2011, I attended my fist meeting of the Democratic Party of Georgia to hear the Chairman, Mike Brelon,  tell us that the State Party was all but broke.  Just to jog your memory, Barack Obama and Joe Biden were in the White House. Saxby Chambliss and Johnny Isakson -- both Republicans -- were Georgia's U.S. Senators. Nathan Deal was the Governor -- also a Republican.  As a matter of fact, when I left Georgia, I believe Republicans still held every State-wide constitutional office.  But by 2021, Georgians had elected two Democrats to the U.S. Senate and voted for Joe Biden as President.  2021 - 2011 = 10 years.  From broke to making Georgia a swing state in just 10 years.


There are some people in the Alabama Democratic Party that need to hear that message.  Because things are pretty bleak for Alabama Democratic Party.  But I remember when that was true of Georgia.




Watch what happens next year in Georgia.  If the politics don't excite you, just watch to see how much money is going to flow into the state.  Think about what that means for the health and well being of the State of Georgia -- to be a politically competitive state.  It could be your state, Alabama. 



Don Brown

August 13, 2023

 




Comments

Popular Posts