Double Take

I’m sorry. I’m actually trying to get a neat video of ADS-B and the Gulf of Mexico operations up. But I keep bumping into this political junk.

I’m on Google News looking for the “Initial Operating Capacity” press release I lost last night and I see this:

____________________

For Franken, No More Mr. Funny Guy
FOXNews - Stephen Clark - ?13 hours ago?
In the past month, Al Franken, the junior Democratic senator from Minnesota has publicly slugged it out with a GOP senator, privately rebuked another one and on Thursday took the unusual step of shutting down on the Senate floor a...

____________________

This Fox “news story” painted the exchange like this:

”As a comedian, Franken cultivated an image as an irreverent performer and satirist. As a senator, Franken is cultivating an image as a confrontational lawmaker with no regard for seniority in a chamber that embraces it.

That appeared to be on full display Thursday as Franken was presiding over the Senate. When Lieberman, I-Conn., asked for some more time to finish speaking about amendments he planned to offer to the Senate health care bill -- a routine request -- Franken refused to grant the time.

"In my capacity as the senator from Minnesota, I object," Franken said.

"Really?" Lieberman said. "OK."

Lieberman, taken aback, said he'd submit the rest of his statement in writing.“


Despite this being displayed as impertinence on Senator Franken’s part, I saw a video of the exact same thing happening to another Senator -- with the exact same words, “In my capacity as the senator from ________, I object “ -- on The Rachel Maddow Show last night. It turns out that speaking time was being strictly enforced to move things along because Republicans (and Joe Lieberman) were using an oft-criticized (usually by Republicans) union tactic -- a slowdown. But wait...there’s more. Watch the video for a little surprise about Senator McCain.

Visit msnbc.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy



Don Brown
December 19, 2009

Comments

Popular Posts