Do You Hear ?



I saw the most extraordinary piece of news footage on BBC World News America last night. It was about health care and the piece opened up in Moss Point, MS. Watch it for yourself. If your time is limited, at least watch until Ms. Vicky McArthur (the blonde lady sitting in the clinic) is interviewed.

Democrats divided over healthcare

Did you hear what I heard ? Let’s see.

Moss Point, MS -- Mostly white, working class district. While I don’t doubt the accuracy of the BBC as to the district, the city of Moss Point is 70% African-American. You might want to play the video again and take a good look at the crowd. I don’t know how well outsiders can understand the South but I bet you I could find a Moss Point, MS in every State south of the Mason-Dixon. Without breaking a sweat.

Mississippi is the poorest state in America.

The State of Mississippi has the lowest life expectancy in the country.

Ms. Vicky McArthur (I’m unsure of the correct spelling) finds the thought of health care reform “frightening”. I assume you caught the Pavlovian reference to Communism. She’d rather keep what she has -- no job, no health insurance and dependance on private charity -- than trust her Government. Some things are hard to explain.

It is not my intent to demonize Ms. McArthur or ridicule her in any way. She seems like a very nice lady and she is entitled to her opinion. No matter how wrong it is. By the way, I think the reporters and commentators deserve some credit for maintaining their composure in the face of such an astonishing answer.

On a slight tangent, I suppose I should at least acknowledge one extraordinary circumstance here. This area of Mississippi was devastated by Hurricane Katrina. I suppose if any group of people have a right to doubt the ability of the government to address any problem, it is these people. That is the legacy left us by Reagan-era Republicans; Government doesn’t work very well when it’s run by people that don’t want it to work (except when they want to invade another country.)

But back to my point. Ms. McArthur, in her passionate-if-ignorant self denial, will take you down the same path. I don’t know if she knows it (or is concerned about it) but in standing against health insurance reform, she -- and her neighbors attending Congressman Taylor’s town hall meeting -- will ensure that you can’t afford insurance if you lose your job. So you too might sit waiting at a charity’s health clinic.

Don’t think it can happen to you ? That’s what the people showing up at the charity my wife runs thought. Their numbers have swelled (doubled, maybe tripled) since the Great Recession began. Many of the newcomers are white and well dressed. Just like Ms. McArthur. The number one poverty generator my wife sees ? Health problems. Yes, we see the chronic poverty that exists due to other reasons. But the issue that brings down the newly poor is health problems.

Let me throw you a curve ball as I leave. Not only could I easily find a Moss Point, MS in any State in the South, I bet I could find a radio station in each of them -- just like Moss Point’s WBUV. I think you’ll see the connection without my help.

Don Brown
August 21, 2009

Comments

Popular Posts