Searching for Excuses



I wonder if the number of absurd guesses goes up in proportion to the problem ? If so, this summer ought to be a doozey. This is from the Chicago Tribune’s article:

U.S. airlines' on-time arrival rates continue to drop

”"We're still bogged down here," said David Stempler, president of the Air Travelers Association in Potomac, Md. "The antiquated air-traffic control system, I think, is at the heart of the problem." “

I couldn’t help but wonder about Mr. Stempler’s expertise in the area of air traffic control. So I took a trip to his site.

”David Stempler is an aviation attorney and has a background in all areas of aviation. “

Excellent. So, which ATC facility did he work in and for how long ? Unfortunately, the web site is mute on the point. I did find this curious statement though, ”The Air Travelers Association is not currently accepting new memberships. “ I get the feeling that there isn’t much room at the Air Travelers Association for anything except Mr. Stempler and photos of airplanes in silhouette.

Oh well. Never mind. We’re all in agreement though. The air traffic system in the United States does need to be modernized. Right ? Well, not so fast...

The Air Transport Association of America on Monday leveled sharp criticism at a proposal for pervasive change in air traffic control service.

Would someone please make up their mind ? I think I’ll just sit back, work at being retired and enjoy the show. I can separate airplanes using ADS-B, radar or nothing more that a piece of paper, a pencil and a radio. I’m betting most of the people you hear from this summer -- telling the public how we should separate airplanes -- can’t.

Don Brown
March 5, 2008

Comments

Popular Posts