Deja Vu Too

I don’t know how many more times I can stand to read something so agonizingly familiar. Is Congress in a coma ?

”How did this happen? The first problem, apparently, was simply handing the program over to private contractors who could, and often did, override or ignore the concerns of Coast Guard engineers. In addition, Coast Guard oversight at the highest level was slipshod or non-existent. They trusted the contractors to get it right.”

Read the piece from the Miami Herald editorial page.

I’m not an ex-Coastie. I don’t even know anybody in the Coast Guard. I can remember Hurricane Katrina though. Nobody had to ask, “Where’s the Coast Guard ?” As much scorn as was (rightfully) heaped on FEMA, just as much praise was lavished on the Coast Guard.

I knew I wasn’t dreaming. Two seconds on Google. (Gotta love the internet.)

From the Washington Post

Coast Guard's Response to Katrina a Silver Lining in the Storm

Another agency on the road to ruin ?


Don Brown
December 22, 2006

Comments

Popular Posts