Saturday, September 30, 2006

Books

Well...I can’t talk politics yet. Don’t want to talk about ATC. At least not the way I’m limited to talking about ATC. (Don’t worry, I’ll explain later.) I guess I’ll just have to talk about books.

I love books. It seems like I always have. I remember a time when I’d never leave the nonfiction section of the library. And then, in one of those little twists that life throws you, I found the world of fiction.

Believe it or not, I found this life-changing event in a throwaway class in public high school. Despite the fact that I love books, I’ve had a life long aversion to any school subject including the words “English” or “Literature.” So, I took the English classes that inflicted the least amount of torture on my brain. In this case, a class on best sellers.

The class was simple. Read a book -- any book from any bestsellers list -- and write a book report on it. One book a week. The first book I read was “Jaws” by Peter Benchley. (I bet you can’t read that without the theme song running through your head.) I was hooked. (pardon the pun) And then I found Michener (James A.) Who knew you could tell so much truth and impart such knowledge while writing fiction ?

I certainly didn’t. By the end of the class I was reading 2, 3 and sometimes 4 books a week. Anything and everything. Good books, bad books, trashy books -- any kind of books. I remember giving two grocery sacks full of paperbacks to a friend that was having knee surgery. (I also remember never getting them back.)

Which brings me to the point of this little posting: I love sharing books. Despite the fact that I’m trying to build my own personal library, I just can’t help talking about (and then loaning out) a good book. Be glad you don’t have to sit next to me at the dinner table after I’ve finished reading a particularly good book. But if you ever do, please bring my book back.

Without further ado, the best books I’ve read lately.

No comments: