Amazing What Moms Save

I had to go up to my Mom's house the other day to grab my pile of memorabilia.  My big sis wants to get the house emptied and on the market to sell.  Mom and Dad are both in the nursing home now and they won't be coming back.  At least not to live alone anywhere.

It's amazing what moms save.  There are pictures galore, birth certificates and grade-school drawings.  Evidently my ancestors fought (and lost) for Virginia in the Cumberland Gap and fought and died on New Guinea. Or maybe some other forgotten Pacific Island.  I'm not sure, I haven't gotten there yet.  My great uncle wrote a lot of letters from New Guinea.

Anyway, the thing my audience will most likely be interested in is this.  It's the front page of the business section of the Atlanta Journal-Constitution (mostly referred to as the AJC), dated July 4, 2004.



Honestly, I don't remember it.  Lee Riley was always pulling me into something or other. (That's him on the R-side, me on the D-side. No, we never actually worked together. Thank God.) In case you've never heard of him, he's the one that dragged me into NATCA back in the mid-80s and served in numerous official (and unofficial) positions.  He even ran for President of the union once. (Or was it twice?)  There's a reason we write things down.  Just as there's a reason moms save things.  (The digital generation might want to think on this for a little bit.)

Don Brown
May 18, 2020

Comments

Popular Posts