Saturday, December 01, 2007

Just In Case



My loving wife (I don’t deserve her) has me cleaning out the junk pile (commonly referred to as the table next to my recliner) and I stumbled across one of those “stupid” flight progress strips I saved from my controller days.

Just in case you thought I was making up that scenario in “Way Up High”...well, I was. But I wasn’t.

The following is in “code”, of course. It starts out “W2 TM RSTN...” which in plain English is “W2 (operating position) Traffic Management Restriction...”

MIT = Miles In Trail

RALT = Regardless of Altitude

ZJX = Jacksonville Air Route Traffic Control Center

LTFC = Landing Traffic

The rest is up to you to figure out.

W2 TM RSTN.....UNTIL 0200Z...PROVIDE ZJX 50 MIT RALT EWR/LGA LTFC...TREAT AS SEPERATE (sic) AIRPORTS....PROVIDE ZJX 20 MIT RALT BOS/BWI/DCA/IAD/JFK/HPN/PHL/TEB LTFC TREAT AS ONE AIRPORT.....DUE TO SEVERE WX WEST MGM 3 PLAYBOOK...ONLY TRAFFIC FROM ZHU INTERNAL AIRPORTS WILL BE ON ROUTE.

When you were reading that Wikipedia link above -- about flight progress strips -- you did catch the part about “ to keep a legal record of the instructions that were issued” didn’t you ?

I try not to be so serious that you can’t enjoy reading this site but I promise, I seriously try hard not to waste your time.

Don Brown
November 30, 2007

No comments: