Front Door Fall

A few years back, I decided to take a chance and plant a sugar maple in my front yard.  Supposedly, I'm too far south for them but, what the heck.  They're all over the place in the north Georgia mountains.  

It paid off.  This one is right outside my front door.  

  
Nikon D7000 -- Nikon 18-300mm 6.3 ED VR
300mm
F6.3@1/15th
ISO 400 
Polarizer

Yep, a polarizer.  As I've said before, it's the only filter I use on a regular basis.  It's been raining all morning and the leaves have that shine that water puts on them.  A polarizer helps eliminate the shine and lets the colors show.  And that explains the rest of the exposure.  

F6.3 is as wide open an aperture as this lens allows (letting more light in).  (We can talk about my love/hate relationship with this lens another time.) I pushed the ISO up to 400 to allow for a slightly higher shutter speed (than my normal ISO 100 would). That still only gave me a 1/15th of a second shutter speed.  That's risky-slow for a leaf that can blow in the wind or flutter every time a raindrop falls on it.  So I waited for the wind to quit blowing and took a few dozen pictures to catch the limb when it wasn't moving (much).

(BOB_8597)
©Don Brown 2019

Comments

Popular Posts