Escape From New York



Not to worry chil’ens. I have escaped from the clutches of those Yankees once again. On the trip in, some bridge got stuck in the up position on the Belt Parkway. A 2 and 1/2 hour trip turned into 4 and 1/2 hours. Oy! On the trip out, I decided to leave early, take the ferry to Connecticut and skip the city altogether. In case you didn’t know it, Con-Ed currently has locked out those bad old union guys to keep them from walking out during this heat wave. They have supervisors filling in. I thought it prudent to stay out of the city. The ferry ride was grand.

It was 107ºF while I was sitting in traffic in the Bronx. But that wasn’t anything compared to Winchester, Virginia. While waiting at the light to turn onto the interstate, the car’s thermometer said 110º. I believe that is the highest temperature I’ve ever been in my lifetime. And I grew up in Macon, GA. That’s saying something.

Regular blogging should resume about Thursday or so. I’ve finished Robert Caro’s The Passage of Power and now I’m almost done with Rachel Maddow’s Drift. I’m really enjoying it. And Rachel Maddow is really smart. And nice.

I’m beginning to suspect that the reason the Right hates on Rachel Maddow so much is the same reason they hate on Krugman so much -- because she’s right. For some reason, that does make people crazy.

Don Brown
July 2, 2012

Comments

elpelso said…
This is how hot it got...

http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=146658

Popular Posts